Through The Devil Softly


Oh, Hope Sandoval. One of my very first rock n roll crushes. That slow, sultry voice coupled with her pale skin and long black hair...so smitten was I from the first time I saw the 'Fade Into Me' video. Her output since the Mazzy Star days has been sporadic at best, but the quality has never waivered.

She is back with her side project Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions, which this time around is just Sandoval herself and former My Bloody Valentine drummer Colm Ó Cíosóig. The two have teamed up for a beautiful, brooding album full of Hope's trademark deliberate vocal deliveries.

Here is one of my favorites from the new album, and an old Jesus And Mary Chain song that Sandoval adds guest vocals to...one of my all time favorites.

* Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - 'For The Rest Of Your Life' MP3


* Jesus And Mary Chain - 'Sometimes Always' MP3

2 Response to "Through The Devil Softly"

  • Poelahniuk Says:

    Great stuff. I'd have to say she is my all time favorite singer. Upon the first listen of this album it seemed a bit melancholy for even me. But that's exactly what she does best and that's why I think we all love her. Maybe my first impressions stemmed from a sort of musical shock, akin to culture shock, from having such a long space between albums. But you are exactly right, quality has still not wavered. In some ways I'm glad she is still a somewhat obscure artist, it's like having your own secret little cove. Cheers.


  • Kelly and José Says:

    Love "Sometimes Always" - if you could re-up, it would be much appreciated :)

    -Kelly