Trusting your own ears


I have finally gotten out of my own way and gotten over myself when it comes to The Gaslight Anthem. I was almost hooked immediately when I heard 'The '59 Sound' for the first time...but something kept gnawing at me. Like it was to slick, or too Goo Goo Dollish...something that was tellign me I shouldn't be digging this as much as I am. But the more I listened to the album, the more the earnestness of the record really started to shine through. They are just a great American band...telling stories and singing songs about what it's like to grow in the American experience...like some of my other favorite bands, Lucero and the Hold Steady. I made the cardinal sin - overthing rock n' roll.

The moral of the story? Trust your own ears...they won't steer you wrong...

The Gaslight Anthem - 'The 59 Sound' MP3

1 Response to "Trusting your own ears"

  • Anonymous Says:

    Gotta agree. The first time I heard them I thought it was just rehashed Springsteen, Tom Petty, Counting Crows, Clash, etc. Then each time I listened again I liked it a bit more, to the point where I don't really care if it's derivative -- there's a sense of passion and good honest rock I haven't heard in a while. Listen a few times, it will definitely grow on you.